I found this in my email:
I will disable Java plugin in all browsers on my machines at work on Monday.
Cert.org is taking this seriously: http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/625617
This could be used against Linux, Mac or Android, not just Windows, if anyone cared to try. They would not have access to root without further exploits, although popping up a window that looks like your Updater, or Microsoft’s, would catch some inexperienced Linux users.
I learned in Eliot Kimber’s “DITA for Practitioners”, after some re-reading, how the integrator.xml ant script works. It looks for template files and creates the corresponding file from it. When the integrator script creates the corresponding xml file from the template, it inserts “stuff” (different for Ant files or SXL files) from all the places that add to that extension point.
As far as I can tell, and this is not explicit in any documentation I have seen, including Kimber’s book, you only need to create a template file in your new plugin when you have defined a toolkit extension point in it. For plugins that you are sharing, you probably want to add extension points to your plugin. For plugins only used in your own DITA deployment, you probably don’t need to do that.
Posted in Ottawa
Tagged DITA, software
Author: Eliot Kimber, XML Press
I will start this review with my conclusion:
I recommend this book for the DITA developer, and also for the person designing your DITA Information Model. Some parts are useful for the writer who is using DITA, but there are other books for them. Continue reading
So you have some DTD files: the main DTD files, model files, and entity files, in a number of folders and sub-folders on Windows XP.
They have extensions as follows:
Search for something using Windows Explorer, in it’s Search pane. Tell it to search all files and folders. Results? Only from some of the files, not all. Why?
Look at the no-search, no-folders mode of Windows Explorer. It offers to help you view videos, but can’t actually find any to show you. Odd, but related. This is because Windows is aware of a video file type with an extension of “mod”. So it won’t search those files.
Let’s try the command line! You can use “find” to search the contents of files, but only in the current folder.
Fix it with GetGnuWin32! And use grep to find your stuff.
The software isn’t out to get me, it got me already.
Posted in Ottawa
Tagged humor, software
Finally got the sound working on my laptop, running Mint 12 and Cinnamon.
The fix was to go to the Gnome Alsa Mixer and uncheck “External amplifier”. The “Sound” app on the system bar seemed to allow the same change, but it didn’t seem to stick.
I first tried adding more gStreamer plugins. No effect. There were already some gStream plugins installed, but there are lots and lots of others to distract you!
I have had a real problem with sound on Xubuntu for the last week.
The system says “Welcome to Xubuntu 9.10” in the web page reached with “Applications > Help”, and “Update Manager” says “11.04” is available, so I think this is the system that was originally installed a s 9.10, and upgraded to 10.04 and 10.10.
There was no way for me to get sound out of this system. Many tweaks and such did not help. Windows runs sound fine.
I looked to see if I installed anything recently, and “Synaptic” said I had installed jackd – way back in October. I uninstalled jackd, and now I can output sound. I am able to record from a USB webcam, but Pinyinpro.com won’t use it.
One thing at a time.